lauantai 18. marraskuuta 2017

Phi Phi Islands and Koh Lanta - Kayaks and frisbees

On Monday the 13th it was time to set sails and head to the Phi Phi Islands. Our ride picked us up early in the morning and took us to the pier in Phuket town to wait for the ferry. Last time we were in Thailand we mostly traveled on the decks out with the sun but this time it felt nicer to chill inside and watch a movie. The boat ride took approximately 2 hours. Fortunately the movie ended before we got to Phi Phi so we went outside and had our first proper view of the archipelago of the Andaman sea. Wow!

Phi Phi Don closing in

After hitting the shore we paid the island fee (20tbh) and started to navigate towards our hotel.
I have been on a small island before (Koh Tao.. what a paradise 😍), but still the place amazed me.
I mean the narrow streets filled with shops and how there were no tuk tuks or taxis or anything like that (Ok the police had a scooter but other than that..). It was like a walking street all the way. Cool!

We left our stuff at the hotel and headed to the beach. As we got closer to it the more in awe I was. It's so beautiful! I mean Bangkok and Phuket are cool, but this is what I consider a piece of paradise and sights like this is what I seek.

Loh Dalum beach

Later on that day we rented a kayak from the beach. Matias googled that the price should be 200tbh per hour (two person), but the salesman said 300tbh/1h and 500tbh/2h. We did some bargaining and got the kayak for 400tbh/2h.

I got the front seat and off we went! I have kayaked only once before in the canals of Leiden (The Netherlands) so I was a little scared when we got closer to the open, more unsteady waters. There might have been a scream or two.. 🙈😁 The sun was getting low so first we headed to the Monkey Beach where we once again saw monkeys. This time I stayed far away because no monkey shall ever try to steal from me again! :D Matias on the other hand felt right at ease with his hairier mates ;) after awhile we kayaked a bit more to see the sunset. Ai ai ai.. I highly recommend kayaking, it's good exercise and you see and experience a lot. Big thumbs up!

Paddling

In the evening we were walking around and doing some cat spotting (there are so many cute cats on the island!) as we found out there was a fireshow in a bar called Carlito's. Off we went and it was not a disappointing experience! Guys were dancing to the music and spinning their fireball sticks with mad skills. It seems to be a quite popular umm sports (?) here in Thailand. I am beginning to wonder if they teach that also in schools and how could I learn the skills also. I mean a fireshow in Turku, on Christmas 2018, held by me. Could be a thing right? :) (don't hold me accountable for this, written under the influence of Sang Som) 

Carlito's fire show


We ended up staying two nights in Phi Phi, but the second day was just for laundry, chilling, reading and eating :)

On Wednesday we headed our ways to Koh Lanta. The trip took about one hour from Phi Phi.
We planned to carry on with our trip the next day so we stayed close to the pier in Saladan.
As we walked to our hotel, Matias noticed that the tide was low and there was a lot of open area just for us.. and what was the idea he got into his head? Well of course to practise some Frisbeegolf (disc golf)! :D this guy! Matias has taken few frisbees with him because you never know when moments and opportunities like this arise 😅
We watched the crabs on the beach for a bit and then started to throw the damn frisbees :D it was awesome! Barefoot, on the sand, the sun was shining and the temperature was reaching +30 degrees. And also it was wonderful to notice that my forehand has gotten some power (I mean, do not get me wrong.. not like Paul McBeth but! I may start to use my forehand next summer on the courses too 😋)

Practice time!

Doing some maintenance

Later on that evening we went out to eat and Matias had locked eyes with some mantis shrimps. They looked creepy but he wanted to try one of them (they actually do freak me out a little bit :D editor's note from Matias) . It cost 1000tbh/kg and Matias picked his dinner (one mantis shrimp) from the aquarium and sat down to wait. Later the thingy arrived with some deep-fried garlic. The shrimp looked weird but it actually tasted really nice. Matias said it was the softest shellfish meat he had ever gotten :) I also tried it and it was yummy. So thumbs up for the mantis shrimp then! :)

- Sini

Freaky things


A yummy thing 





Our route so far

Ei kommentteja:

LÀhetÀ kommentti